Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Katie Bird in My Box

I can't believe my baby girl is 30 years old. Where in the world has the time gone?

I remember the dream I had one night. I raised my head from the pillow and saw a baldheaded baby with a pink bow on her head. She brought a chubby little hand to her cheek and waved at me. Then she was gone. A short time later I found out I was pregnant for the third time.

Pregnant? Again? Our son was only eight months old, and I was not ready for another baby, physically or emotionally. I cried every time I thought about what lay ahead.

In my seventh month, I became sick, and we thought I was in labor. Danny drove me to the emergency room. My doctor said I had a virus that mimicked labor. As I lay there, fearful I was losing my baby, I realized how much I did want this third surprise. "Please God, protect my baby until the time is right for her to come."

The time spent at the hospital wasn't all sadness and tears, though. As I laid in the room, a nurse came in, turned off the light, and shut the door. Moments later a fire alarm started blaring. The sound was deafening. If I wasn't in labor at the time, the alarm going off just about scared me into it. After a long wait, the nurse came back in and turned on the light. I asked her if there was a fire and she replied, "No, honey, it was just a fire drill. You can go home now."

Delivery day finally arrived. On the way to the hospital we drove across some railroad tracks. Danny turned to me and casually said, "If it's a girl, let's name her Katherine Leigh." I was hurting and naming the source of the pain wasn't high on my priority list. I agreed with his suggestion as another contraction hit. He could have named her Pacific Railroad for all I cared; I needed to get to the hospital--fast.

Katherine Leigh Cosby was born on November 9, 1980. She was a beautiful little girl with a head full of black hair--just like her daddy.

As my daughter reaches this milestone, I can honestly say that Katherine Leigh Cosby Brown is one of the finest, full-of-grace women I know. She loves deeply, and she loves long. Katie looks for the good in people and, when possible, helps them use that goodness to rise above an unwelcomed circumstance.

My daughter loves her two boys more than I ever expected she would or could. Katie was young when she became pregnant with Kody, but she pulled herself up and made a decision that blesses us all today. I didn't know for sure how she would handle being a young mother, but she made me proud. When times were bleak, she held on and did what needed to be done.

I have enjoyed watching her spiritual life grow from a small bud to a full-blown blossom. She is amazing and relates scriptural lessons beautifully. Her relationship with God is no longer on the back burner; she has moved Him up to the front and is turning the heat up. She longs to be all God wants her to be.

As a mother, you want your child to grow up be someone famous, or rich, or successful. As I've watched Katie mature, it's obvious she is famous, rich, and successful. Her boys know her voice above all others because she spends time with them telling them how much they are loved. She is wealthy beyond belief in the love of her family and many friends.

My beautiful, precious, Katie Bird, I pray that you will continue to grow in love with your God, your family, and friends. I pray that blessings far more abundant that you can ask or think will rain down on you as you seek God will all your heart. You are a treasure for the world to behold.

Happy Birthday.

Love,

Mom

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Mom. Your words are a blessing to me and provide great encouragement. I love you so much... my first blessing in life was being given to you, you cared for me from the moment you knew I was there and you have loved me in the most amazing ways.

    ReplyDelete